@Home With Jemmy & Clussy

Sharing all things Home with each other and anyone who haps upon this page.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Is everything better with bacon?

So, trying to get back to this. For this week from the Food Revolution book we're making bacon wrapped cod and asparagus with a sauce. Sounds pretty good, right? Well, it was. Kind of. First off, I'll say this was a pretty easy recipe and everything is done really fast. Even with prep, it only took about 20-25 minutes. So, here are the results (and I apologize in advance...even for my phone camera this is a terrible picture):


Okay, the good. Even though you cook this at a high heat, with the fish wrapped in the bacon the fish is still nice and tender and not at all overcooked. I used basil instead of Rosemary for the fish and it added a nice flavor.
The iffy. The sauce on the asparagus was very tasty, but very strong. I would totally make this again, but I would go more sparingly on the sauce. As it is, it sort of overwhelms the asparagus (which I actually like the taste of).
The not so good. I even cooked it a little longer than it said and my bacon was still not crispy. Definitely still fatty and kind of gummy. Now, I guess there's a few things I could do differently. One, is that the recipe says to thin out the bacon by running your knife over it, and I didn't do that (oops, my bad). Maybe that would've helped. Another option is to use 3 slices of bacon instead of the 4 it says to use. Lastly, maybe a minute or two under the broiler at the end might have crisped it up. And then, of course, I could have just looked for a thinner cut bacon. Those are my ideas anyways.
In closing, it's a tasty, and easy to cook dish, that I would probably try again. There's just a few things I would do differently.
Claudia? Your turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment